Eating a healthy lunch while on the go is all about preparation. And to get you started, we've shared 3 healthy (and yummy) lunch ideas - recipes included, for those on the go.
If you like any of the meal ideas and recipes, be sure to LIKE or SHARE on Facebook or Twitter! Your tummy will thank you. :)
Tips for Eating Lunch on the Go:
Curried Chicken Salad with Apples and Raisins:
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons water
1 cup chopped skinless, boneless Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken (about 4 ounces)
3/4 cup chopped Braeburn apple (about 1 small)
1/3 cup diced celery
3 tablespoons raisins
1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine mayonnaise, curry powder, and water in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add the Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken, chopped apple, celery, raisins, and salt; stir mixture well to combine. Cover and chill. Full recipe at My Recipes.
Stella Tip: Chicken salad is great for sandwiches and wraps. When you're really short on time, you can pick up already made chicken salad at the grocer, and sprinkle curry onto the mix while building your sandwich. Et voila!
Yummy Salmon Burgers:
1 pound skinless center-cut salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces, divided
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots (about 1 small)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup arugula leaves
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
1. Place 1/4 pound salmon, 1 tablespoon mustard, and rind in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon puree into a large bowl. Place remaining 3/4 pound salmon in food processor; pulse 6 times or until coarsely chopped. Fold chopped salmon, tarragon, shallots, salt, and pepper into puree. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Cover and chill until ready to grill.
2. Preheat grill to medium heat.
3. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon mustard and honey in a small bowl, and set aside.
4. Combine arugula, onion, juice, and oil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
5. Lightly coat both sides of burgers with cooking spray. Place patties on a grill rack; grill 2 minutes. Carefully turn patties, and grill for an additional 1 minute or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons honey mixture, 1/4 cup arugula mixture, and top half of bun. See full recipe at My Recipes.
Stella Tip: Serve with a side of grilled or steamed veggies.
Spicy Tuna Wrap:
5- to 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna (see Notes), drained
1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Sriracha (see Notes)
1 scallion, chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice (see Tip), cooled
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 10-inch whole-grain wraps
3 cups watercress leaves
1 ripe avocado, cut into 16 slices
1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
Reduced-sodium soy sauce for dipping (optional)
- Combine tuna, mayonnaise, hot sauce and scallion in a medium bowl. Combine rice and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Spread one-fourth of the tuna mixture over a wrap. Top with 1/2 cup rice, 3/4 cup watercress, 4 avocado slices and one-fourth of the carrot matchsticks. Roll up and cut the wrap in quarters or in half. Repeat with the remaining filling and wraps. Serve with soy sauce for dipping, if desired. See full recipe at Eating Well.
Stella Tip: Spicy Tuna Wraps cut into pinwheels are a great, healthy appetizer to take to a party. And... it is football season. Healthy game day anyone?